POSITION TITLE: Senior Systems Administrator
This position serves as the senior systems administrator and team lead in support of a heterogeneous technical environment that supports scientists, researchers, and analysts at NOAA’s Center for Satellite Applications and Research (STAR) at NOAA’s Center for Weather and Climate Predictions in College Park, Maryland. Caelum’s STAR team possesses an infrastructure that includes both physical and virtual servers running CentOS (primarily), Red Hat, Open BSD, and Solaris. Other critical platforms include VMWare’s #ESX1, Dell PowerVault/NetApp, and Cisco switches, routers and firewalls.
- Senior Systems Administrator and team lead for STAR mission network supporting RedHat/CentOS development environments.
- Administer, monitor and maintain all Linux servers including unboxing, provisioning, baseline configuration, ongoing configuration management, patching, and de-provisioning.
- Compile and install development tools for programmers.
- Perform Tier 2-3 helpdesk support for Linux system.
- Monitor system performance and resource utilization.
- Develop processes for streamlining inventory management and system provisioning.
- Assist ISSO with patching and developing and implementing firewall rules and security controls.
- Follow and support STAR Configuration Management practices.
- Manage STAR public services i.e. HTTP, FTP, FTPS, SFTP, and TDS thredds.
- Setup and manage hardware and software RAID and iSCSI storage systems.
- Provide documentation and SOPs for internal IT Team use and STAR users.
- Reports to Caelum NOAALink Program Manager.
- Receives technical guidance and priorities from the Government Task Manager.
- Works closely with Caelum’s STAR Enterprise Architect in terms of strategic and tactical configuration changes, and process enhancement.
- Leads and is responsible for performance of a team of systems administrators who collectively manage the STAR IT infrastructure.
- Interacts and collaborates regularly with Federal and contract employees within STAR.
- Minimum B.S/B.A. in Engineering, Computer Science, or related field.
- Demonstrated proficiency, with a minimum of 8 years’ relevant experience as a Linux Systems Administrator.
- Experience and demonstrable expertise with the following technologies:
- RedHat/CentOS Linux
- VMWare vCenter/ESXi Virtualization
- Ability to compile software packages from source
- TCP/IP Networking and Firewalls
- Change management
- Apache, nginx, MySQL, PostgreSQL
- Enterprise Storage: NetApp, Nexenta, Hardware and software RAID
- Scripting: Bash, perl, python, ruby, etc.
- Experience with the following is valuable:
- Git/GitLab version control system
- Puppet Configuration Management tool
- Graphite or InfluxDB
- Programming: Compiling, linking, debugging, etc.
- Experience leading a technical team.
- Experience in NOAA or other U.S Government enterprise, particularly in support of a science mission, highly desirable.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
Email resumes to NOAAjobs@caelum.com
Caelum offers comprehensive fringe benefits including health, dental, and vision insurance, 401(K), holidays, vacation, and sick leaves. Base salary is commensurate with education and experience. A year-end or spot bonus is offered for outstanding performance.
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
Caelum is an EOE, offering equal opportunity for any qualified individuals regardless of gender, race, religion, sex orientation, or physical handicap. Caelum especially encourages U.S. veteran for application.
To apply for this job email your details to NOAAjobs@caelum.com